Tattoo prep & aftercare
For the best tattoo results, please follow these steps 1-2 weeks before your tattoo appointment:
SKIN PREPARATION FOR YOUR TATTOO
While showering, gently exfoliate the area that will be tattooed.
Apply lotion to the area to hydrate and soften your skin; your tattoo will look cleaner and heal faster than if your skin is rough & dry.
Drink a lot of water during the week; avoid alcohol for at least 24 hours before getting tattooed.
Please do not shave the area; we will do it for you at your appointment.
Avoid aspirin or blood thinning medication at least 24 hours before your tattoo; ibuprofen, acetaminophen, & other NSAID pain relievers are OK.
Antibiotic treatments must be finished at least 1 week beforehand.
If you need to make any significant changes to your design, we require a 48-hour notice in order to keep your retainer for this appointment. See our policies for more information.
the day of your tattoo
YOUR APPOINTMENT DAY
Bring your I.D. to your appointment. We cannot tattoo you without it.
Eat a meal at least 1 hour before coming into your appointment. We recommend bringing in a sugary beverage and/or a snack to keep your blood sugar regulated and to munch on during breaks.
Shower, exfoliate & hydrate your skin that morning. Please do not come in after a workout or sweating without showering. Avoid wearing strong perfumes.
Wear clean & loose-fitting clothes; something you wouldn’t mind getting stained with ink.
Children under 18 are only allowed in the shop with a guardian present. Please limit your guests to one person, who will need to stay in the lobby during your session.
Feel free to bring headphones or a book to entertain yourself, especially during long sessions. Some of our artists have TVs in their rooms as well.
Please reschedule if you are not feeling well.
See our policies for more information.
After your appointment
Remove your bandage 1–2 hours after getting tattooed, preferably at your home, in a clean environment.
Please wash your hands with an antibacterial liquid soap before touching your tattoo. Gently wash your tattoo and pat dry with a clean paper towel.
Apply a small amount of non-scented lotion to the area to keep it hydrated. Suffocating your tattoo will prolong healing time, so avoid over-saturation of lotion or ointment (i.e. Aquaphor®). Do not rub your tattoo.
You may see ink or blood when washing your tattoo for the first couple days; this is normal and nothing to be alarmed about.
We recommend you wear darker color clothes around your tattoo for the first week. Clean, dark bed sheets are always a great idea with a new tattoo as well.
If there is swelling, apply ice and/or use NSAID pain relievers such as ibuprofen.
Keep your tattoo away from animals.
Avoid swimming, hot-tubbing or submerging your tattoo in water for 2–3 weeks.
Avoid sun exposure or tanning for at least 4 weeks.
Wear clean, soft clothing and avoid tight garments around your new tattoo.
If your skin hurts while exercising, refrain from working out until it has healed. Please be aware of unclean gym equipment and protect yourself from infection.
If you have a foot tattoo & feel it’s necessary for the first few days, wrap your cleaned & lotioned tattoo in Saran Wrap™, then cover it with a clean cotton sock before putting on a shoe. Sandals or flip-flops that rub on your tattoo should also be avoided for the first couple weeks. Note: tattoos on the lower extremities take longer to heal because they’re farther away from your heart.
Wash the area with antibacterial soap, pat dry, then rub in a thin layer of non-scented lotion 2–3 times a day as needed.
- Your tattoo will peel or start scabbing: this is normal. Do not pick at, scratch, or irritate the tattoo. Apply non-scented lotion as needed for the first 2–4 weeks.
Thank you for taking the time to read our information and for your continued support. We are looking forward to seeing you soon! Stay healthy and safe; from all of us at Ink Era Tattoo.
AFTER YOUR APPOINTMENT
- Remove your bandage within 1 hour of getting tattooed.
- Wash your hands with an antibacterial soap, then gently wash the tattoo with the antibacterial soap.
- Pat your tattoo dry with a clean paper towel.
- Rub in a small amount of non-scented lotion to the area to keep it hydrated.
DAY 2—APPLY SANIDERM ADHESIVE DRESSING
- 24 hours after getting tattooed, wash hands & tattoo with an antibacterial soap, and leave the area exposed to dry completely (5+ minutes).
- Do not apply lotion before applying Saniderm.
- Saniderm has 2 sides: a paper and a plastic side.
- Cut Saniderm to a size that is larger than your tattoo & then remove the paper side.
- Apply Saniderm over the tattoo so it covers it completely. Leaving at least an inch of space around the tattoo is recommended.
- Rub out any air bubbles you may see & then remove the hard outer plasic side.
- Rub Saniderm down so it seals around your tattoo.
- You may see some pooling of fluids & ink while the Saniderm is on; this is normal.
- After 24 hours of using the first piece of Saniderm, remove it from your tattoo.
- Wash your hands, gently wash your tattoo & leave it exposed so it dries completely.
- Apply 2nd sheet of Saniderm.
- Leave 2nd sheet of Saniderm on for 3–5 days.
- It may start to get itchy around day 3–4. This is normal & expected.
- After 3–5 days of wearing the 2nd piece of Saniderm, remove it from the area.
- Wash the area with antibacterial soap & pat dry, then apply a layer of non-scented lotion 2–3 times a day as needed. Repeat for the next 2–4 weeks.
Visit saniderm.com/how-to-use for more information and how-to videos.